[PIGMI] [chris at mccormick.cx: Introduction of an R18+ video games classification]

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Dec 7 19:23:35 PST 2010

Hi all,

Here is my email to the minister. Hopefully some more of you can take a minute
to send something too.

Cheers,

Chris.

----- Forwarded message from Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> -----

From: Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx>
To: Minister.Porter at dpc.wa.gov.au
Subject: Introduction of an R18+ video games classification

Honourable Minister for Corrective Services, Christian Porter,

My name is Chris McCormick and I am a software developer here in Perth, and also a founder of the local video games development community called PIGMI, which consists of individuals interested in making video games. Members of our budding industry have released a variety of video games which have gone on the international market in recent months to great success. I'm so proud that we're able to do this work from our wonderful state, thanks to politicians like yourself who have made this an environment conducive to doing this type of business.

I am writing to you with regards to the proposed R18+ classification for video games. I support this new classification for the following reasons:

 * The rating will make the lives of busy parents much easier in that it will give them a clear indication of what games are and aren't appropriate for their children.

 * Polling around Australia shows that people are overwhelmingly in favour of this - at least 80% in favour.

 * The voters who voted you into office are overwhelmingly in favour of this - WA was around 84% in favour - more than any other state.

Please feel free to visit http://www.ag.gov.au/gamesclassification for more details and research.

As a Western Australian voter, a small business owner, and a father-to-be, this is tremendously important to me and I sincerely hope that you will make the correct decision and support the introduction of an R18+ classification.

Best regards,

Chris McCormick.