[PIGMI] R18 Classification Review

Avril Cox avril.cox at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 15:39:34 PST 2010

Interesting discussion about this on Triple J's 'Hack' last night.

If I remember correctly, only two states Attorney's Generals have
voted on this yet, and WA's wasn't one. So there's still time to push
on this.

It did sound like WA was leaning toward R18+ at the moment.

In summary, some (non exhaustive!) arguments presented for R18+:

- Currently games rated 18+ in other countries being argued down to MA
here to get through classification, potentially when they shouldn't be
available to that audience.
- We are the only country without a 'mature' classification system
- Film allows R18+ (and if R18+ not implemented for games, it should
be removed from film as well)

Arguments against:

- R18+ means those games will be available in Australia and kids could
get their hands on them
- Difficulty enforcing classifications with p2p making everything
available to all ages anyway.
- The issue with Video game violence being worse than film
violence being two key issues: interactivity and repetitiveness.

I suggest anyone who feels strongly about this topic should get letter
writing today, or miss the boat.

Cheers,
Avril.
--