[PIGMI] [chris at mccormick.cx: Introduction of an R18+ video games classification]

Kat Black kat at vjzoo.com
Tue Dec 7 20:07:57 PST 2010

Here's what I sent:

To: Honourable Minister for Corrective Services, Christian Porter

Dear Sir,

I live in Perth and have been involved in the local digital content
development community for many years. In 2007, I ran the Byte Me!
Festival which showcased some of the talent in this state - animators,
visual FX artists and games developers included. See
http://ByteMeFest.com

My motivation for running that Festival was to showcase the budding
Digital Industry in this state.

Games Development is a rapidly growing Industry. Worldwide, revenue
from Games sales has recently overtaken that of the Film industry.
Australia is a strong player in this field, in particular when it
comes to downloadable and mobile games - despite very little
government funding. The economic return and the potential for
independent business development is enormous.

One thing that has been missing though is access to a level playing
field. By not having a classification system equivalent to that of our
main target markets, developers are more limited in the audience they
can develop for.

Only a small handful of games have been refused classification in
Australia - which means that many games that are rated for over-18's
in other countries have been released here with NO enforceable age
restriction. Some of these have had minor modifications, but some have
been released in the same format that would be restricted to
adults-only in other countries. That just doesn't make sense - how is
a parent to know if a game is appropriate or not?

The Games Industry is not trying to sell inappropriate games to
younger gamers - the average age of gamers in Australia is 30 and
steadily increasing. This is an audience that the local Industry wants
the right to develop for. Games conceptualised from start to finish
with the adult gamer in mind. The film industry has that right, and so
should the games industry.

Considerable evidence has suggested that the average Australian
overwhelmingly supports the R18+ classification for games. I'm sure
you know the statistics. It just makes sense, and Australians are
generally a very pragmatic people.

I would like to add my voice to the many others you no doubt have in
your Inbox, asking that you support this change.

Thanks very much for your time spent on this important issue.

best,

kat black =^..^=

http://VJzoo.com
~ quite nice visuals ~

http://TouchstoneTarot.com
http://GoldenTarot.com
http://78friends.com
http://LittleWhiteBook.net for iPhone
http://illumiQ.com for iPhone
http://BallofQ.com for iPhone
~ tell me true ~

PO Box 3414, Broadway LPO, Crawley 6009, Western AUSTRALIA

Mobile: +61 403 767 005 (after midday please)  |  Skype: katblack66

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/katblack
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/VJzoo
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VJzoo
MySpace: http://myspace.com/vjzoo

meow & ciao,

kat black =^..^=

http://VJzoo.com
~ quite nice visuals ~

http://TouchstoneTarot.com
http://GoldenTarot.com
http://78friends.com
http://LittleWhiteBook.net for iPhone
http://illumiQ.com for iPhone
http://BallofQ.com for iPhone
~ tell me true ~

PO Box 3414, Broadway LPO, Crawley 6009, Western AUSTRALIA

Mobile: +++++++++ (after midday please)  |  Skype: ++++++++++++