[PIGMI] Tafe games...

Joel Blackwell joel at superfurious.com
Thu Dec 9 06:27:19 PST 2010

I visited West Coast Tafe when their previous student game project was
shown, and I did again this time. So, I thought I'd do another
micro-review of the event for Pigmi.... albeit a bit late.

This time around the game was called Eclipse. The students got up
one-by-one and discussed several things about it, and that was fairly
interesting. Some of the students were great at explaining their project
(especially their project lead) while others looked as though they were
going to literally die from stress. So, kinda the same as a Pigmi meet ;)

The game itself was a nice effort. Compared to the previous two games,
Eclipse was a much more in-depth project. This time around there was
spell and creature casting, some nicely detailed environments, and some
really well designed creatures, some of which were incredibly cute! It
was also nice to see some attention had be paid to sound, which was
sorely neglected in previous projects. The game had some decent music,
as well as some nice voice work.

Obviously not everything was perfect- the game was a long way from being
more than a prototype and extremely rough in a number of areas, but it
was great seeing the evolution of student game projects at West Coast
Tafe. I have no doubt next project will be a very interesting thing to
see. And, I have to hand it to Tanya (and Phil, who I met) for
organising a bunch of inexperienced students over a five or so month
period into a game development team. That must always be a challenge.

If you're ever able to attend these events, I highly recommend them.
They're always encouraging.

-Joel