[PIGMI] TRON the game

George gt at crunchyfrog.com.au
Wed Dec 22 20:58:20 PST 2010

Well said Scott,

I'm very pleased you are exercising your own judgement and showing
discernment. You make up your own mind about something based on its
individual merits and are not swayed by popular opinion. Good on you :)

However I must respectfully disagree with your appraisal of the
painting. You see, it was hanging in an art gallery, so therefore it was
good. That's what art galleries are for, they remove the uncertainty. If
it's there, you know it's a masterpiece. Simple, and no personal
discernment is required.

Same with Australian Idol - they are all top notch singers. They
wouldn't be there otherwise. Even the ones that got knocked out in the
first round of judging. They all vibrate their vocal chords right? The
judges are really off kilter with their fancy pants notions of "being on
key" or "tone". We all know that sound comes from vibrations and
fluctuations in pressure, who's to say which is better than the other?

I tried some red wine the other day. Those names! Like "Cabernet
savignon" and "Shiraz" - they're just made up nonsense, because it's all
fermented grape juice! Absurd to think someone could really cultivate a
finer appreciation of wine, when really you can just drink any of them
and they're all just as good.

So yeah, I appreciate you are an independent thinker with your own
views, and you have a really novel and interesting concept there with
"subjectivity", but really, personal discernment is overrated. Better to
simply just accept and enjoy :)

--
   George